Serving Benson, and beyond, since 1887
A Short History of the Church
Benson Baptist Church began its journey as a community of faith on January 24, 1887. On that day in the Rising Sun School, the church was organized by four ministers: J.L. Ennis, Allen Betts, J.M. Holleman and A.N. Campbell. Services were scheduled for the fourth Sunday of each month. Initially known as Bethany Baptist Church, the name was changed to reflect the growing community around it and Bethany Baptist Church became Benson Baptist Church.
Two well – known pastors formed a father-son combination in the 1890’s. Mr. A.N. Campbell, who served the church from 1893-96, was succeeded by his son, Mr. J.A. Campbell, who served as pastor during 1896-99. The younger Campbell is best known for his work in establishing Buies Creek Academy, now Campbell University, an outstanding institution located in nearby Buies Creek.
The sanctuary, modern and advanced for its day, stood as a symbol of the congregation’s willingness to sacrifice for the glory and worship of God and was opened in 1914. The education building was dedicated on February 28, 1960.
A dedication service for the new Fellowship Hall wing of Benson Baptist Church and its addition and renovation was held on November 19, 2006.
Benson Baptist Church Pastors (1887-Present):
J. L. Ennis (1887), Allen Betts (1888-89), J. M. Holleman (1890-93), A. N. Campbell (1893-96), J. A. Campbell (1896-99), J. J. Adams (1900), J. M. Suttle (1900-06), D. F. Putnam (1907-09), T. B. Justice (1909-10), E. J. Rogers (1911-12), John M. Duncan (1912-16), G. W. Rollins (1917-19), C. C. Wheeler (1920-23), O. A. Keller (1923-26), A. L. Benton (1926-27), J. E. Kirk (1927-29), A. L. Brown (1929-34), Forrest L. Young (1934-43), Ernest Y. Averett (1943-45), Thurman B. Stone (1945-51), H. Otis Lanning (1952-60), Harold L. Alexander (1960-61), Gaylord L. Lehman (1962-66), Allen Laymon (1966-67), Harold M. Mitchell (1968-72), Donald M. Price (1972-94), L. Kendell Cameron, Jr. (1998-2003), Craig Richardson (2004-2005), Michael Edwards (2006-2011), Paul Burgess (2013-2017), Lawrence Powers (2020-Present).